9.04.2012

Introducing...


Devon Reed
August 31, 2012
4:30 am

 
 10 lbs 5 oz
22" long


 Proud big brothers x 3:



 Family picture before going home.

What a crazy night this was! My water broke at 11:30 on Thursday evening. Contractions started mildly at midnight and we got to the hospital at 12:30. Checked in and I was 2 cm. Darn. Not where I had hoped to be with my water broken. I got an IV started and kept laboring. I told Tyler to take a quick nap, and he replied, "Just waiting for permission!" 

Around 3 am I woke him up because I needed help getting through each contraction. At 4 am the on-call Dr came in and I asked her to check me because I wasn't sure how much more I could take. I was 8 cm. Fifteen minutes later I was complete and could start pushing. I pushed through three contractions and his head was out, but his shoulders were stuck. He finally came out after a few more contractions at 4:30 and that sweet relief feeling washed over me. The first thing the Dr said was, "He's huge!" No one guessed or had any idea he would be THAT huge, though. I thought something had to be wrong with the scale, because how could I be carrying a 10 pound baby?!

The nurse told me later that I only pushed for 9 minutes total. I'm glad it was over quickly, because with no drugs, it was so intense. I heard from a different nurse that I was the talk of the maternity ward that day. A VBAC without drugs and a 10 pound baby. Awesome.

We were able to go home that evening, so from the time we checked into the hospital, to the time we left was about 21 hours. I was so glad to go home and sleep in my own bed! 

All three boys are in love with their new brother. No jealousy issues from Clayton, which is a relief, since he has been so attached to me the last few months.

Devon is doing great. He only lost half a pound at his three day checkup yesterday. I'm getting around, slowly. :) I guess a quick, crazy birth will do that to you. But he is so worth it!

7 comments:

Eve said...

Awww! Such cute pictures!

Rach and Clark said...

Congratulations to you all! I can't believe you pushed a baby that big out, either! Good for you!!

Steven and La Dean said...

Congratulations! Devon is a beautiful baby! I'm also a little envious, but only 3 more weeks (hopefully) for us!

Brianne said...

Congratulations! You are amazing!

Mom Martinsen said...

Love the pictures of precious Devon and his cute bug brothers. We are proud of you all and anxious to be able to hold Devon!
What a story, Nicole, you are awesome!

Robinson said...

Congratulations Nicole! So happy to read about the arrival of Devon! And I love your family photo at the hospital!

Riggs Familia said...

you go mama! 10 lb baby!!! he's quite the cutie, congrats! glad to hear you're all doing well.