My boys are now officially WA state junior troopers. I didn't get a sticker, though. Just a ticket.
Here's the story - mostly so that I can have a record of it. And for those of you that want to know more.
*********
My first time being pulled over resulted in a ticket. It was a little hard to believe, and even harder to write out that check to Yakima County. I was driving through Yakima on my way home to Seattle (a route that I never take). The speed limit went from 70 to 60, so I set my cruise at 64. Everyone goes at least four over, right? I was just over a mile from my exit. I came over an overpass and remember seeing brake lights and cars merging all over the place. So I stepped on the brake and then saw the patrol car parked on the median with his radar gun pointed at me. My first thought, "Oh crap, I'm getting pulled over."
I got in the right lane, and saw him pulling out onto the freeway. He turned his lights on to get other cars out of the way, and then flipped them on right behind me. So I pull over, with the boys asking, "why are we stopping?" "why are you getting pulled over?" This had never happened before to us, so they were a little nervous. And, so was I, to be honest!
The trooper came up to the window and said that he clocked me going 64 and asked if there was a reason for my speed. I told him I was just trying to get home to Seattle. He mentioned something about how he used to work on the west side. He said "hi" to the boys and asked them if they liked stickers. He also asked me if I was okay with that, which I was. That was kind of him.
He took my license, registration, asked if I had insurance and then went back to his patrol car. The whole time we're sitting there, the boys are rattling off questions about what is going on, why we stopped, why was I speeding, etc etc.
About 10 minutes later, he comes back to the car and hands me a ticket. "I only ticketed you for going five over, so it's going to cost you $93. It is a construction zone, so I could double that, but I'm not going to. That would have been $240."
So he handed me the ticket, told me to give my regards to the west side, and instructed me on how to get back on the freeway. One mile later, I get off at my exit, and while I'm waiting at a stoplight, I glance at the green piece of paper. "55 in a 50" was written on the ticket. Huh? I didn't see the speed decrease to 50 mph. I didn't even think to ask him at the time what the speed limit was, because I knew that it was 60 mph. So I was going 64 in a 50, in a construction zone. I'm grateful that I got a nice patrol officer who didn't want to slam me with a $240 ticket.
And, the first thing Tyler that heard when we got home?
"WE GOT PULLLLED OVER, DAD!!"
8 comments:
yuck. Not fun! I got at ticket my first time getting pulled over too. It was on the reservation on my way home from church after choir practice. The worst feeling ever! That's too bad it was a construction zone and you didn't know.
At first I was mad at that trooper for pulling you over for only going 4 over. But now I'm glad that he only ticketed you what he did. Yikes. I hate when they make speed changes like that. I've only been in the car once when it was pulled over, and I wasn't driving. We just drove into Oregon and the speed dropped from 70 to 50 and there was a trooper right at the border. How nice of Oregon. That was nice of the trooper to give the boys stickers too.
Oh Nicole,
I'm sure it wasn't fun having the boys witness it, but hopefully their presence kept you from tears...I held mine back until the officer left the one and only time I got a ticket...in a school zone $100 wack (same thing, I had no idea I was going so much over...I was even going under the normal speed limit and she was nice and gave me the smallest infraction). Fun story...don't let Tyler rub it in too much :)
That's so crazy! I'm terrified of being pulled over. They hardly ever post the speed limit here in Provo - like you seriously have to LOOK for what the posted speed limit is... not that any Provo drivers follow that anyway!
Thank goodness for the nice patrol officer though.
Such a nice guy to give the boys stickers and you a ticket... wait... why couldn't he just give you a sticker too? Sorry girly! I have heard Yakima is the worst place ever for tickets!
I'm glad your boys thought it was kind of cool. My girls are scared of cops, and if I got pulled over, Evelyn would probably start bawling. So I'm glad Irvine posts the speed limit all over the place.
OH!! I feel your pain.
At least your boys didn't unbuckle their carseats to see what the police officer was doing as he walked towards the car.
The first time I ever got pulled over, I got a ticket a mile from my house (my only ticket ever) and the ONLY nice thing about that officer was that he believed me when I said that T had just unbuckled his seat that very moment...that would have been an additional $150-200.
Oh no, I hate getting pulled over. Luckily it only happened to me once and i got out of it. At least he was nice to you! My kids are like yours too....lots and lots of questions:)
Post a Comment