3.24.2010

the basement project

This is what our loverly basement looked like when we bought the house. We ripped the carpet out the day we closed. Nasty stuff.

The foundation bumpout was the only thing painted red, along with some splatters on the trim, carpet and random spots on the walls.


And today:

It's not finished - we still need trim. Which is why I haven't posted anything yet, but family members have been asking to see colors. So here you go, whether it's ready or not!

We are planning on trimming out the foundation like in these pictures. They are pictures #9 and #10, so you have to scroll almost to the bottom of the post.

Eventually I would like the wall that you see either side of in the pictures above to look like this:

There will be a window seat/bench with a lift up lid for tons of storage. On either side of the bench, there will be cubbies for toy storage. And then, more storage on the ends with doors for items that we want to hide. I'm still not sure about the bookcases.

I'm so excited! I can just imagine laying down on a lazy Sunday afternoon with the sun pouring in the south facing window and taking a nap.

A girl can dream, right?


And I love love love! these curtains available at Ikea.My only hang up is the price -- a little more than I want to spend on curtains. But I haven't found anything else that I absolutely love. And I would need to buy at least two sets (one for the big window and one panel each - cut in half - for the smaller windows).

Do you think that would work?

One panel is 57" wide, and the small windows are only 22" wide. So two panels for one of the small windows seems like overkill. I was thinking if I cut them in half I could still have plenty of rufflage (yes, I made that up) to still look decent.

We are planning on bringing a couch down, today, actually, because more furniture is coming for the main living area (hooray!). I'll keep you posted on our progress!

6 comments:

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

how fun! That is exciting. I like the look of the wall you have planned I love the idea with the bookshelves as well.

Jenny-Jenny said...

Nothin funner than getting house projects moving! Way to go. it looks great.

Amanda said...

I like the color and your plans! Good luck as you continue.

Ben said...

So when you said crappy basement paint job by the previous owners, you weren't kidding. It was like they got a little tipsy and decided red would go well in the basement. Your paint looks waaaay better. Dad mentioned you guys would be doing cabinets. Two panels on the small windows would be major overkill. Your idea sounds like it would work just fine! The print totally matches what I've heard your decor looks like. And then there's Ben laughing at me when I use the word "decor."

Ben said...

That was Shaunie by the way, hi-jacked my identity.

The Greenacres said...

It looks really good. Its fun to decorate, my only problem is the gap between what I would really like and what we can afford and then how much not having anything, because I don't want to waste it on something I don't like, annoys me.