I have been thinking a lot over the past several days about my influence as a mother and "grading" myself on how I think I'm doing. I don't think I am doing a terrible job, but I know there are things (many of them) that I can do better.
I have come to the realization that the more time I spend doing things with my children, the more time I WANT to spend with them. When I reach that point, I could really care less about every other commitment I have. I just want to stay in our snug little home and play, read, create, laugh, tickle, snuggle, learn, and enjoy.
On the other hand, when I am trying to do something that I think I need to do right now, the less patience I have for them. The more I feel like I just need a break. The more frustrated and annoyed I get. And that's not a "good mommy" feeling.
So, to combat this issue - I am going to start putting my kids on my to-do list. And actually write it down when I make a list of things I need to accomplish. Even if I don't get to everything else on the list, I can feel good at the end of the day knowing I spent enough time with my children.
7 comments:
you have such a good attitude Nicole! You are a wonderful mommy and it shows in your boys!
There were two posts at "Bloom" this week on this exact topic. They were good reminders about motherhood and the crazy society in which we live.
I love reading each of your posts but today, this really hit my heart! Though my kids are a bit older, I have found this past year that time spent with them is time I cherish more than anything. I am really beginning to see that my role as mom is ever more important now and I've got alot to do. I think of the stripling warriors and how they were so prepared...I want to be one of those mom's that taught my children well. Thank you for your post...much food for thought. Miss you all there!
Love your thoughts...I sometimes do the same thing when I have "projects" I "need" to get done. I've enjoyed the miscarriage and sickness in that it has forced me to slow down and re-evaluate.
I SO needed this. Thanks for reminding me what being a stay at home mom is all about! You are an amazing mom!
Amen! Great reminder for all of us.
Ooh I do that. I put "make Brogan breakfast, get Brogan dressed, Lunch, Nap, Play outside, do something fun with Brogan" etc along with my other to do items. I would do them weather they were on the list or not, but this way at the end of the day and I look at my crossed off items, I can see where I put my priorities. It helps me remember that even though its day to day stuff, I'm accomplishing something every day. Taking care of my little boy.
Lately I need to be better though. This is my busiest time of the year and after I read your post it made me think about things. Yes right now I have to help financially support my family and that does take me away sometimes, but I have to find a balance between my work and family. In 20 years will I care, or even remember, weather or not my dance teams did well at competition, or will I miss the time spent with Brogan while he was little. Thanks!
Post a Comment