12.10.2008

Lime Kiln Trail Hike

Tyler went on a hike last Saturday morning. He had heard of a hike that went through old railroad tunnels and wanted to scope it out before all of us went.


One of the tunnels mostly covered by a landslide - landslides happen every year because of the torrential rains in the fall and the steep hillsides here.


You can see where the railroad ties used to be. They started work on this railroad in 1892 to bring gold and silver ore deep out of the mountains. It's amazing how much work this took to make, blasting numerous tunnels (some so long you can't see the other side), and chiseling out rock to lay the railroad ties.


One tunnel where the bottom has fallen out, probably as a result of flooding and landslides.


We're guessing this used to be a retaining wall. Tyler, being the {crazy} adventurer that he is, just HAD to cross this. He said it was about 30" wide. Yikes.

Rainy weather + slippery moss = almost certain disaster.

But he came home unscathed, thankfully!


A tree stuck on a huge rock. This tells you how high the water actually gets when it floods.

Pretty crazy, huh?

5 comments:

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

that looks fun! I want to go hiking now. I don't think it would be a good idea for us right now though. I have a hard enough time keeping Kiera near us indoors let alone on steep hills and near water. It looks beautiful though.

shaunie said...

Cool pictures. Is he going to take you all on it? I wouldn't be crossing that skinny retaining wall. And definitely not with squirming toddlers. It looks like a good adventure for adults!

shaunie said...

Oh, and thanks for changing our blog name per Ben's request. I've always wanted to be named Louise. Shaunie is such a terrible name.
Dad called me yesterday I think and said our link had disappeared off the sidebar. Funny. :)

Dani W said...

That is so cool! I love the pictures I miss being able to have the inside scoop on all the cool hiking trails!

Robinson said...

Did Tyler go on the hike alone? If so, I love the picture with him in it! It reminds me of Les Stroud from Survivorman on Discovery Channel!