12.12.2008
friday's gardenings
Just a few random facts about Poinsettia's. I think there are a lot of misnomers and myths about them that are not true.
- Poinsettia's are from Mexico. Down there they are a bushy shrub that grows up to 10 feet tall.
- They are NOT poisonous. But the sap can irritate the skin and upset the stomach if you eat a lot of it. I don't know why you would do that, though. The plant only leaks sap if a stem gets broken.
- December 12 (TODAY!) is National Poinsettia Day.
- The showy, colorful part of the plant that most people call the flowers are actually called bracts, which means modified leaves. The flowers are actually the small, round, white/yellowish colored things in the center of the colorful leaves.
- When buying poinsettia's, look at the flowers. If there is little to no pollen, they will keep the colorful bracts longer than if the flowers have already shed their pollen.
- For more cool facts, go here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks for the tip about the pollen. I found out when I bought my first poinsetta in Idaho that they freeze if you leave them in the car and go shopping. I Cali I would plant them along the walk way to the house and load the rest of the beds with white and red ranuclus. Here in Idaho I don't even buy them rather appreciate others who have them.
Post a Comment