Cindy, thanks for your questions and I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I hope you haven't given up on me! The first few gardening posts I did were basic info, so click on the Gardening label on the sidebar and it will take you to all of the gardening posts I have done.
It sounds like you have white fly on your houseplants. You can take a spray bottle with water, add a drop or two of dish soap, and shake it up. Take your plants outside and just douse them with this mixture. You will need to rinse it off before it dries so the soap doesn't dry on the leaves and suffocate them. But the soap should kill the flies. Leave your plants outside for a few days if possible to make sure the flies are all gone. You may have to do it a couple of times, to all your plants before you completely eradicate them. But, living in a tropical climate where the bugs never really die, the flies may be something you will just have to live with. They won't harm the plants, they are more of a nuisance than anything.
And I have never heard of peacocks devouring plants. That is kind of funny! So do they just run wild in Hawaii? You could always put up chicken wire fencing around your garden and hope they stay out. Some of the other tips I found on the following sites were helpful, as well.
- hang up reflective streamers on wire to deter them
- do not keep any kind of bird food outside or feed them anything because they will keep coming back
Yahoo Answers - one person left a list of plants that peacocks do not like
Peacocks Forever
Orlando Sentinel - the 3rd comment on this page has a lot of good tips on how to deal with peacocks
Good luck with your gardening! I hope your next attempt is successful.
It sounds like you have white fly on your houseplants. You can take a spray bottle with water, add a drop or two of dish soap, and shake it up. Take your plants outside and just douse them with this mixture. You will need to rinse it off before it dries so the soap doesn't dry on the leaves and suffocate them. But the soap should kill the flies. Leave your plants outside for a few days if possible to make sure the flies are all gone. You may have to do it a couple of times, to all your plants before you completely eradicate them. But, living in a tropical climate where the bugs never really die, the flies may be something you will just have to live with. They won't harm the plants, they are more of a nuisance than anything.
And I have never heard of peacocks devouring plants. That is kind of funny! So do they just run wild in Hawaii? You could always put up chicken wire fencing around your garden and hope they stay out. Some of the other tips I found on the following sites were helpful, as well.
- hang up reflective streamers on wire to deter them
- do not keep any kind of bird food outside or feed them anything because they will keep coming back
Yahoo Answers - one person left a list of plants that peacocks do not like
Peacocks Forever
Orlando Sentinel - the 3rd comment on this page has a lot of good tips on how to deal with peacocks
Good luck with your gardening! I hope your next attempt is successful.
**email gardening questions to martnicole@hotmail.com
1 comment:
I had forgotten you were the smart plant person. Now I know who to come to when we out in our yard. How is everything else going?
Post a Comment