9.05.2008

questions . . .

sorry about no gardening tip today. my to-do list was (and still is) about a million things long. I cannot seem to catch up with anything.

we heard from the doc's office about the MRI. we were told that one of the disks (L5) in his spine is degenerating, and something is pressing on the S1 nerve, which is causing the pain/numbness/tingly feeling down his leg.

they asked him to go in next week for a nerve block (like a mini epidural) to help with the pain.

from some quick research done online, these shot effects only last about a month. and a degenerative disk can't really grow back, right? so I'm a little confused. obviously to keep him pain-free is priority number one, but what about long-term? is there a way to keep the disk from degenerating further?

too many questions....hopefully we'll get some answers next week.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

i'm so sorry!.. My mom actually has degenerative disk diesease and yes there is plenty they can do, you can't grow anything back but they can help it from going much further... Cortisone shots help my mom but they also can cause more deteriation in the long run...at some point when he 80 or so they can put a fake disk in but I doubt that will be needed anytime soon. He is still young, not over weight and active, all things in his favor... Keep us updated! You guys are in our prayers!

Em and Ms said...

Agh, how frustrating! Hopefully you can find some good answers soon. And I totally understand about the never-ending to do list! Good luck wiht that.

Kelsey said...

I wish you guys the best of luck figuring out what will work best for Tyler. It's hard when you're up against something that can't be perminatly fixed. I think just having the best attitude you can and being positive will help. Which I'm sure you're great at.

Christy said...

Hey Nicole,
When George broke my back I broke a bone in my lower back and ruptured a disk. The disk was pushing on my nerve as well causing my left side to go numb and I was in a lot of pain. I got an epidural and it did wonders. I know Tyler's problem is different but cortisone shots can do wonders. I hope they can do something to keep the pain away and prevent further problems.

Walker Family said...

Oh nicole! I hope you do get answers! Even with Aaron being in the medical feild we both still feel like there are ALWAYS questions that go unanswered. Hope everything gets worked out though! You guys are great!