8.15.2008

friday's gardenings

Here it is Friday again! And I have neglected my blog for an entire week.

So today's gardening tip:

If you need to plant a lawn, or spots in your lawn, between now and the end of September is the best time to do it. Putting down seed is the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

But, there are several other options:

-Sod. Instant lawn but more expensive. It's also a lot of work if you do it yourself (in my opinion). If you have kids/pets that you would not be able to keep off the planted area, this will be enticing.

-Plugs. Basically small sprigs of grass that get planted in your lawn. Faster than seed planting.

Also, make sure you pick a variety of grass that grows well in your area. Local nurseries can help with this.

More info here.

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Em and Ms said...

Thanks, I needed these tips since we'll definitely be replanting our lawn this fall. It's completely fried, and here lawns don't come back when you start watering. Although pumpkins and squash randomly have popped up...wierd. I'll have to look into the nurseries here more since I know it's not till late October that you can plant grass here. That link is perfect!

Anonymous said...

I bought a few perennials at Bear Lake Landscape last Friday-they are so pretty and I even have them planted! Brent said I was pretty brave since they are just at the edge of the deck, but I felt they would be out of the way enough. Just wish I could stop all the new Lilac shoots from coming up on the North side of the garage-any tips?