7.25.2008

friday's gardenings

A few plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds:
{scientific name in italics}

Annuals:
Antirhirrhinum majus Snapdragons
Alcea rosea Hollyhocks
Cosmos

Perennials:
Dicentra Bleeding Heart
Digitalis Common Foxglove
Helianthus Common Sunflower
Lupinus Lupine
Rudbeckia hirta Gloriosa Daisy
Echinacea purpurea Purple Coneflower
Gaillardia x grandiflora
Sedum Stonecrop
Monarda Bee Balm

Aquilegia Columbine
Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora
Salvia

Groundcoves/Vines:
Humulus lupulus Common Hops
Wisteria

Shrubs:
Abutilon Flowering Maple
Buddleja Butterfly Bush
Ceanothus Wild Lilac
Hebe
Lavandula Lavender
Lonicera Honeysuckle
Philadelphus Mock Orange
Rhododendron
Rosmarinus officinalis Rosemary
Syringa Lilac

Trees:
Acer Maple
Apple
Salix Willow
Citrus
Eucalyptus

If anyone wants more info on any of these plants, like the zone or plant size, leave a comment or email me (martnicoleAThotmailDOTcom) and I will be happy to help!

To see pictures, this site is excellent! It will also give you a lot of great facts on any particular plant.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Di Cluff said...

We used to live in Covina, right next to Azusa where Monrovia's HQ is. Monrovia Nursery, in Monrovia, was my favorite place to shop. Thanks for the link. I wistfully recall my So Cal gardening days where I could grow anything at any time.