7.18.2008

friday's gardenings

So today's tip is about acclimating your plants to their new atmosphere. If you start a vegetable garden from seed indoors, before you plant them outside you *should* gradually introduce them to being outside. If you live in a climate that is pretty temperate, meaning the temperature doesn't fluctuate between 65 degrees and below freezing in one day, then you won't have to worry so much about this. But it's still a good idea. If you don't want to/don't have the time, then try just putting them outside 'cold turkey'. You'll have to keep a close eye on them and give them LOTS of water the first two or three days.

So if you do not live in a temperate climate, you should acclimate them. You should also acclimate plants that you buy from stores where they were indoors, or in greenhouses.

You want the plants to get used to temperature fluctuations, because indoors is controlled. So put them out in the morning for a few hours, in the shade. Take them back inside and increase the length that they are outside each day by an hour or two, depending on how hot it is. Introduce them to direct sun after two or three days for a few hours. You will have to watch them, and they will probably get wilty. Just give them a good soaking AFTER you remove them from the sun. Water droplets on leaves can cause holes to burn through the leaves.

Increase the amount of time per day until you are close to the amount of sun they will get in their new planting spot. {I hope that makes sense} Then you just plant them, give them a good soaking, and you should be set!

Have a plant/gardening question? email me at martnicole AT hotmail DOT com

3 comments:

Dani W said...

Oh my heck... can you just fly out and fix my garden. lol. You have seen it right? It is terrible. BUT at the moment we are a little more concerned about the inside at the moment... I might be asking you some hefty questions all next gardening season though.

I am so glad that you do this... very grateful that you take time out of your day to help plant killers like me from well... killing plants. lol. One day I will have a green thumb. I hope.

Melissa and Bryan said...

I LOVE your blog!! It's so cute! Where did you find the template? Lindee has a really cute one too. Are there other fun templates available somewhere?

Di Cluff said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, gald it makes you laugh. Our kids all tell us we're crazy, the laugh will be on them however; as kids grow up to become thier parents:)
I bought some beautifully colored Coleus for my outside pots this year, they are very happy. I absoutley love them. I have been rooting some and am ready to plant them in potting soil. Sometimes my annuals come back in the bed next to the house. Do you think there is any chance the Coleus will come back? Or...will I have to keep them indoors?
I can tell there is more of your stitching showing with the new mat, counted cross stitch is such beautiful work. You've inspired me to get mine framed, when I do I'll blog about it.