7.05.2007

11 miles down, 39 to go...

I am really grateful for the 4th of July holiday. To me, it has always been the ward breakfast at 8:00 am, going home and trying to escape the heat, then going to watch the fireworks on the river. We weren't able to do any of that this year, so it felt a little different. But I still felt so grateful to be living in a country where we are free to do as we please -- religiously, politically, and otherwise. So instead of doing anything that we usually do, we went on a hike with some members of the ward. We hiked to Ashland Lakes. It was so pretty, and I think the bugs thought so too because they were everywhere! In our eyes, ears and climbing all over us, even as we walked. Besides that, we had a lot of fun.

A family pic at Lower Ashland Lake...doesn't it look so pretty? I wanted to go swimming.

Jaren cooling off in the water.

Kaden enjoying being on the rocks out in the water. He surprised me by wanting to put his feet in the water. He loves taking baths, but when he gets near big bodies of water (pools, the ocean, or lakes) he just doesn't want anything to do with it. But he kept wanting to put his feet in and splash around.

This is about four minutes after we got in the car and started driving back home. Hikes are such a good way to get out all of his ENDLESS energy. And yes, his New Holland hat is still his favorite.
The hike was 6 miles round trip. It was probably a little too long for us, and for Kaden. He did surprisingly well. That last 1/4 mile just couldn't be walked by him any longer. He didn't walk the whole way, but the majority of it. The hike and the lakes were really pretty. There were lots of little streams we crossed, some mud, and a lot of boardwalks. The boardwalks are there for earlier/later in the season when it is really muddy and wet; for the most part the trail was dry.
We came home, showered and almost all of us got to take a nap. We had homemade pizza and berry pretzel cheesecake for dinner. We played outside until it got chilly then came in and waited for the fireworks to start. Fireworks are NOT illegal here. The Indian reservation sells them, and there are fireworks stands everywhere throughout the city. So about 10:00, the fireworks started. Every single neighborhood sets them off. We watched them laying on our bed, looking out the window. That had to be the most comfortable I've ever been while watching fireworks. All the shows sounded like a big bag of microwave popcorn popping. Eventually we shut the windows and went to sleep. Three hours later they were still going off.

4 comments:

tHe PitCheR mEmoRiEs said...

What a beautiful place! And isn't it just so enjoyable and peaceful to go outside and take the kids for a walk........or a hike! I love it! The fireworks aren't illegal here either........they have lots of stands that sell them year-round! And even though it dosn't get dark here until 2 am we could hear fireworks going off until the early morning!

Kari said...

That hike looked amazing! What a fun family activity!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous hike! Are fireworks illegal in certain places? Maybe I should check on that...I've never given it a second thought, maybe I've been breaking the law all along!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great Holiday even though you didn't celebrate it in traditional fashion. Your hike looks so beautiful...a little jealous, I am :)