3.26.2012

Grandpa Gibbons

My Grandpa passed away Sunday evening. He was 88 years old. He lived such a good, long life and I know he is having a great reunion with his first wife, parents, and those that have passed on before him.

My mom gave me a box over the weekend (before we had any idea that he wouldn't make it through the next day) that he had put together for each of his grandchildren when he served a Family History mission back in 1994-95. A book in there has a life sketch that he wrote once he started his mission. I opened it up this morning (since I hadn't cried enough already!), and read through the first few pages. It made me laugh, and cry. I just wanted to share a few snippets.

"At the present time I am semi-retired. I say semi because I have three sons who are running the farm and if I stay around they have no problem finding something for me to do. They do a better job than I do so I just as well let them do it."

"I enjoy the outdoors and some of my fondest memories are the times I spent hunting and fishing with my dad and my brothers and now with my sons and daughters. I'm indebted to my Heavenly Father for covering 2/3 of the earth with water which means that you're supposed to spend 1/3 of your time working and 2/3 of your time fishing."

Something his father (my great-grandfather) always told him and his five brothers when they argued: "'We have cheerful hearts for the strangers, smiles for the sometimes guests, but all for our own the bitter tone, though we love our own the best.' Trouble didn't last very long because we had too much fun together."

My Grandpa left such a legacy behind. Seven children. Thirty-eight grandchildren (I think). And many great-grandchildren (and counting!). All of whom he loved dearly. Even though I was one of many grandchildren, whenever I was with him, I felt like he loved me best. Not that I think he loved me more than anyone else, he just made me feel loved and special. I knew and felt of his love whenever he was near. I will miss knowing that he is there when I go and visit the farm. He has always been there, so it will be hard to not have him around when our huge crazy (I mean that in the best way possible) family gets together. The memories that I have of him will always be with me, and I know that I will see him again!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

Nicole, I have transcribed and edited Grandpa's personal history, his personal time line, and a list of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They are all on one document I can provide you a copy if you would like. Please let everyone know who may want it because there is no sense for someone else to spend all the time doing it again.
Dianne

shaunie said...

Nice post. I love reading family histories, I hope everyone is making one! I just read your new quotes on the sidebar, hilarious!

Rach and Clark said...

I'm so sorry about your loss, Nicole. My deepest sympathies to you and your entire family. I love the idea of the family history box. What an awesome thing your grandpa left behind--including his legacy, of course!

Mom M said...

Dear Nicole
How special of Grandpa Gibbons to put together a box for each grandchild about his life. We should all learn from HIm. I loved his thoughts about fishing and will always remember being able to stay in his home and feel of his spirit. Our thoughts are with you daily.

Attitude of Gratitude said...

I don't think we are ever ready to let a loved one go, but I am grateful your Grandpa enjoyed a lifetime of love--is there any better life? Thinking of you as you mourn this loss.