7.14.2011

stuff

I wanted to post how I made a custom curtain rod for our bay window. I didn't want to pay upwards of $75 for a custom one. And if this will help someone else, great!

I searched around on the internet and came across a few different ideas. I found one where they had purchased a 10' section of EMT conduit and bent it to fit the angles of their window. Here is the full tutorial for that style (minus the bending).

And we tried that. But it was a fail. We couldn't get the pipe bent in the right spot, at the right angle. So there went $4 down the drain. But it was only $4, so not a big deal.

Plan B involved me wandering around HD for an hour, getting funny looks from all the employees. "Are you sure you're finding everything okay? You've been here for a while!" 

Here is what we ended up using:
4 - 7/8" wooden dowls
1 - 1" copper pipe fittings for the center of the large window. The dowels were 48" long, so I needed two to cover the length of the one window
2 - 1" 45 degree copper fittings for the corner angles
2 - cabinet knobs
all the materials for the brackets listed here
spray paint

Materials were no more than $15.



I love how the rod turned out. It looks like one continuous rod, even though it's not. There are five brackets, but two of them are hidden by the curtains. I stressed over this for such a long time, so I am really glad to have it done with. Now I just need to do something with the curtains. I am not a huge fan of the color because it is so similar to the wall color, so I've thought about bleaching them. Anybody ever done this?

And...

I tried to make a sailor's knot bracelet and this is how it turned out.
It was fun, and pretty easy once you get the hang of it. 
Now Kaden wants me to make one for him. :)

4 comments:

shaunie said...

Look up fabric bleaching on the internet. It doesn't sound too difficult, I just wondered if it would do anything to the steel grommets on those curtains. The rod looks really good!

Brianne said...

The rod looks great! Good job! I like the bracelet too.

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

way to go! looks great!

Kim said...

You are too fabulous! And I love your sailor's knot bracelet. I've seen those on people and I love them- want to make me one? : )