-family project last month on our table-
Our dining table has been in serious need of being refinished. The top is way too light for our taste, and the finish would scrape off with a fingernail. I have been dreading this project and putting it off for the longest time, so while I was at my parents' over spring break, the table fairy got to work. Sneaky sneaky. When I got home, the table was missing from our dining area. It was taken apart and some of the pieces were ready to paint in the garage.
And then it was my "turn" to be the table fairy and finish it.
The table top sanded down and ready to stain:
We really wanted a more rustic looking finish, and somehow I found this website.
Soaking steel wool in vinegar and then rubbing the liquid on sounded crazy, and cheap, so that's what we did.
About halfway through applying the vinegar liquid:
Soaking steel wool in vinegar and then rubbing the liquid on sounded crazy, and cheap, so that's what we did.
About halfway through applying the vinegar liquid:
When the table was dry, it looked like this.
Really gray and not much definition. I didn't add anything other than the liquid from the vinegar/steel wool mixture.
Once I put the poly on, oh my goodness! the table to came back to life!
Once I put the poly on, oh my goodness! the table to came back to life!
And I LOVE it!!
So I just have the table and bench done. The chairs are next, once we figure out how we are going to change them.
So I need some suggestions.
Do I:
1. Paint/stain them to match the table?
2. Paint them entirely the color of the base of the table?
3. Paint them entirely a cream/antique white?
4. ??
Staining the base of the chair is going to be a PAIN. And so much more work. And I don't really want them to be too matchy-matchy with the table anyway. So I'm leaning more towards painting them entirely one color, but really I'm not sure. Thanks in advance!
8 comments:
Could you send the table fairy my way? We have the same problem with our table's finish...although now, it also has some lovely shades of nail polish and othe paint on it.
That's totally on our summer "to do" list.
What color did you stain it? I love it!!
I'd just paint them entirely the same as the base of the table and bench. Looks great Nicole! Love the darker stain.
Wow! Great job! Your table looks amazing. It doesn't even look like the same table.
I would do option 2 (paint them the base color). I think #1 would be too much work for not much of a different outcome than #2, especially since you barely see the seat of the chair. I think #3 would be too much contrast.
Yep, paint the same color as the base of the table! Looks amazing! Love it!
I too vote for the base color.
Alright, so after watching your home video you sent me a while back, I too vote for a dark color. But not the base table color, necessarily. Have you thought about doing a dark green, brown or red? You have those black bar stools, and so I think white chairs next to those would not work in your space. You could paint the seats of the chairs one color, and then the rest black, or vice-versa. I like color and some contrast. I vote for a dark red and black! Those are my favorite colors to add interest in a space. Someday, I'll have a bathroom that will be black and white with either red, lime green, or aqua. Someday, when I have a HOUSE. Jealous.
By the way, great find on the table stain. It's nice to know you're not frying brain cells while trying to beautify your home. You just might smell like vinegar for a while, and I can live like that. :)
I've thought about this. And I know my opinion doesn't matter...
But I would do the color from the bottom of your table. I actually want to re-do my table this summer (waiting for good weather)..it's too orangey for me. But after I do the chairs I want to put an off white/white initial on each chair. just an idea if you're interested...
I would stick to one of the colors on the table. If the bottom half is painted, I would paint the chairs. Much easier, and would still look fab. good luck!
Post a Comment