5.21.2010

child labor

Having grown up on a farm and learning at a young age to work, I am anxious to teach my kids how to work. Living in the city makes this challenging.

They have plenty of chores that they do inside, and are usually good about helping out when we ask. They love doing anything outside or a project involving tools.

There have been quite a few times when I am talking to Tyler about something we need to do in the near future (tomorrow, or in a few hours). If Kaden overhears us, more often than not he we will go and grab whatever tool we need and start working right away. Even if it's 8:00 at night, or we're right in the middle of fixing dinner. Most of the time it drives me crazy. But I have to admire his stubbornness persistence and willing-to-work attitude.

(That reminds me of his father, actually. Hmm...)

Jaren loves helping out whenever Kaden doesn't beat him to it. It's always a race with these two, no matter what the object is.


We got this project done a few weeks ago when we had some dirt delivered. They were amazed to see a dump truck come to our house, back up, and dump dirt all over our driveway. They couldn't wait to grab a shovel and start helping.

{Jaren is telling me right now, "That was so fun when we were digging!"}

Work doesn't seem so much like work when you do it together.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jaci said...

Good job, boys!! And good job, mom for teaching them to work hard. I remember some days thinking, if I just do it myself it will get done faster and maybe more like I wanted it but I'm so glad we stuck with it. My kids now just know chores are a part of family and they work hard. It's a great thing!

I love love love your hair by the way. Soooo cute!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

so true! My kids LOVE pulling weeds. I think their most favorite part is taking each individual weed/or flower they pull up one by one to the trash can. I love doing things outside with the kids but my all time favorite is washing the cars as a whole family! Can't wait til summer when I can start a water fight and not get in trouble. :)

shaunie said...

I've often wondered how to teach our kids the work ethic we received growing up on the farm. I would welcome owning a large-ish piece of land they would have to help take care of. Right now though, I think a yard would be plenty of work. Even though you have *lots* of help. I love your awesome fence by the way.

Vanessa said...

my kids have chores now, and it took me a morning of finding my dishwasher completely unloaded without asking from Kelton! wew! Mine also race...and i love it. until someone has to "win"! we love to dig too! and how nice is that to have such great helpers!

The Greenacres said...

I have the same thoughts and concerns. What always surprises me is how much they are really capable of if I let them try, and sometimes fail, then try again.