I canned a batch of apple pie filling yesterday using a new recipe. Can you guess which jar is the new stuff?
The jar on the right is the new batch. It's obvious. The new filling recipe uses ClearJel instead of cornstarch as the thickener. So it's not supposed to separate like the other filling.
Does the filling on the left still look safe to eat? Does it usually settle like that? It was canned two years ago.
Does anyone have an applesauce recipe they like? I want to try some with the apples I have left.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
6 comments:
That new recipe looks great! You'll have to post it. My mom always uses Clear Jel to make her freezer jam. From what I remember, our apple pie filling always looked like the one on the left. It still looks safe to me!
I have an applesauce recipe, and the equipment if you want to borrow it. It's so easy, I will tell you tomorrow at preschool. :) Your pie filling looks so good.
yep it's still safe, thats what mine look like! Looks yummy!
I have never made apple pie filling. But I sure like to eat it! I also make apple sauce but I just add sugar and sometimes cinnamon to taste. Never followed a recipe before. Have fun with the apples.
applesauce is soooooo easy. Just cook your apples til they are soft. (Peel, and core first if you don't have a sauce maker)then squish them up and add some sugar to taste and a 1/4 tablet of some vitamin C. A tsp or so of lemon juice and you're ready to go. Put in the hot water bath Canner and ta dah.
Mom's apple pie filling always looked like that. My jam jars have that headspace as well. Darn you and your access to a jillion apples....
Post a Comment