This neat thing is known as the "Topsy-Turvy Tomato Planter". The premise is that it works by allowing the water to go straight to the plant, so you get more, and better tomatoes. An extra bonus -- little hands can't pull the blooms and mini-fruit off before they are ready! More information here. Want to make your own? Go here. They also work for peppers, cucumbers and squash. This would be great in an apartment or condo on the patio!
This is something new that I haven't seen before. Called the Soil Shelf Planter Insert, it allows you to put less dirt in, while allowing enough soil for the plant to thrive better. It will get more oxygen, better drainage, your pots will be lighter, and you will be saving money. I think this is a pretty cool idea! Info here.
Have you seen any cool new gardening contraptions? Please share!
6 comments:
I like the pot with less dirt! I keep forgetting to ask you this: The plant I put into that metal tin has a little white mold growing on top of the dirt. I noticed it about 10 days ago, and haven't watered the plant at all (about 3 weeks) because the soil was so wet. Do I worry about the mold, or just continue to let it dry out? Since I haven't watered it, the mold doesn't seem to have spread much.
This sounded interesting so I just googled upside down planters...and read that someone used the $0.99 Reusable Grocery bags instead of buckets. (avaible everywhere now...Its apparently the same material as the commercially made version)
I may have to try this, just for fun.
Cool ideas Nicole. Rick is already getting excited for a garden he wants 6 tomato plants! I have started some flower seeds and was wondering if you could give me some pointers on how to help them survive instead of toppling over because they get too tall and skinny as little sprouts. We love ya.
Amanda
Joe was just watching an infomercial about the upside down tomato plant. I don't remember the name of it but he seriously wants to buy it. I'll have to show him this post. Thanks!
Have you ever tasted tomatoes from the upside down method? I assume they are grown in the house. I am wondering if they taste like the hot house tomatoes we buy in the store?
That's a great idea. I thought I might do some little tomatoes that we could just snack on, and hang them off the porch. Plus I'm all about less dirt. Thanks for blogging it is unusual for me not to laugh or at least grin.
Katie
Post a Comment