I know you have all just been wondering where my gardening post is! Ha. 'Cause I know that's the first thing all of you do on Friday mornings! I'm kidding. I enjoy doing this probably more than any of you enjoy reading it. So anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I woke up this morning and realized it was Friday and that I haven't done anything for a gardening post.
Today all I will say is:
When planting trees/shrubs/or anything outside, make sure you plant it in a place where it will be able to grow to full size/maturity without taking over your house or your neighbors.
How many times have you seen a giant evergreen tree almost leaning on the house because it was planted too close? This isn't safe for your house, nor is it healthy for the tree. This is mostly a problem with trees, but shrubs tend to get planted in places where they will just become a nuisance with their size. With shrubs, they are easy to trim up and keep under control.
So - know how tall and wide the plant will get, and plant it in a place where you can just let it grow!
Have a plant/gardening question? Email me at martnicole(at)hotmail(dot)com.
Today all I will say is:
When planting trees/shrubs/or anything outside, make sure you plant it in a place where it will be able to grow to full size/maturity without taking over your house or your neighbors.
How many times have you seen a giant evergreen tree almost leaning on the house because it was planted too close? This isn't safe for your house, nor is it healthy for the tree. This is mostly a problem with trees, but shrubs tend to get planted in places where they will just become a nuisance with their size. With shrubs, they are easy to trim up and keep under control.
So - know how tall and wide the plant will get, and plant it in a place where you can just let it grow!
Have a plant/gardening question? Email me at martnicole(at)hotmail(dot)com.
***
So I just found this question from my cousin-in-law Tiffany:
So I just found this question from my cousin-in-law Tiffany:
(it was in my junk folder. sorry!)
What do you recommend to place at the bottom of giant planters/pots to decrease the weight and expense of using so much potting soil?
What do you recommend to place at the bottom of giant planters/pots to decrease the weight and expense of using so much potting soil?
I had heard about the packing peanuts...and I agree, I don't really like that idea.
If you want to try the packing peanuts, however, place them in a plastic garbage bag, or something similar.
You could take a plastic, lightweight pot, or a bucket, and place it upside-down in the planter.
As big as can fit in the pot and still allow enough dirt for the plants. That is really the only thing I have heard of besides packing peanuts. If I come up with any other ideas, I'll let you all know.
Good luck!
1 comment:
I've actually been waiting to read your weekly gardening post, I love them! Thanks!
Post a Comment