9.23.2007

tender mercies

If certain things hadn't happened these last couple of days, I'm pretty sure you would hear me say that last week was the worst possible week ever. Not in terms of Kaden throwing tantrums, or Jaren being really fussy. More like Tyler working 18-hour days. More like Wednesday through Saturday I saw him for maybe six hours(okay, maybe a few more than that). I missed my friend, being gone at work all the time! And there wasn't much he could do about it. Deadlines are deadlines, especially when a project is already months behind.
So, what happened these last few days to make it all (maybe not all, but a lot) better, you ask?

Friday afternoon the phone rang. Caller ID said, "Grandpa Gibbons." What? Why would Grandpa be calling me? They were on their way through Marysville and wanted to stop by and say hi. I was so ready for some adult company and conversation. They stopped by and then we went out to dinner. Tyler was able to come as well, which I was so grateful to him for. They brought us some apples from the farm (yummy!!), and their love that I can feel that they have for all of their (many) grandchildren.



After Grandpa left, I talked to my dad. They were most likely coming up to visit, they said! Hooray!! I couldn't have been more excited. Good thing I had been planning to give my house a major cleaning Saturday morning anyway. ;) I talked to Tyler Saturday afternoon and let him know that my family would be here in a few hours so he could be home, and he said he wouldn't be able to come home soon because of problems on the plane. Grr!! I was very frustrated, and I want my husband back already! So I went outside to check the mail and find a letter in there from Rick and Amanda. I didn't even open before I started bawling. It was something that I definitely needed at that moment. Thank you, Amanda!


So my family came, and Tyler was home all day today. It was so nice to just relax, and let everyone else entertain the kids. I have realized more fully that the Lord is in the details. He knows what we need, when we need it. It is through other people that he meets our needs, and we are not alone in our day-to-day trials and struggles. I am so grateful that Grandpa and Grandma Gibbons came to vist. I am grateful for Amanda's timely letter! I am grateful that my family could come and vist and bring with them the feeling of 'home' and love and family. I am so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord in our lives!


Last week wasn't so bad after all.

8 comments:

Kari said...

Isn't is amazing how such a bad week can be turned around by a few small acts of kindness from the Lord. I am glad you had a better week, hope things slow down at work for Tyler!

The Two of Us said...

I LOVE it when a letter or something comes RIGHT when you need it. Thanks so much for the call and I am so glad you had some company! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Nicole you are such a sweetheart! Thanks for sharing your tender thoughts and feelings-they are so normal Amanda sent us a sweet note also. Thanks for loving Tyler in spite of the long hours at work. Things will get better! Love ya

tHe PitCheR mEmoRiEs said...

That's nice you had all those visiters! I can totally side with you on having a bad day and also having something good come to me that made it seem good again! Brooks has also been working in remote villages of AK that take him away for a week or two so I know how you're feeling! Hang in there!

Ben said...

Good thing mom and dad were finally able to see you after wanting to go up there all summer, and especially when you needed the break! Hope the new calling isn't too demanding. It can't possibly be worse than his job at the moment! :) Maybe you can find some other mommy friends to have a play group with, especially during times like these.

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Honest and inspiring blog Nicole. Thanks!

Ben said...

I've always really liked Brent's sideburns. Every time I see him or a picture of him I think, "Dang! Those are some good sideburns!" Tyler, you need to carry on the tradition. They would look like lightning bolts with your awesome red hair. You would look like a superhero without his costume on. Then every time we visit I can say the same of you,"Dang! Those are some good sideburns!" I wish mine would grow that well. Here's to you Brent!!! (Ben)

Anonymous said...

It's so true that in those moments you need it most, there is someone right there to pick you up. I've had friend after friend in my ward come by to take the kids for a little while and give me a break these last few days of pregnancy. I'm always amazed at the amount of service I receive for how little service I feel like I give away. Tender mercies!